Tuesday, June 23, 2009

MySpace Migrated Blog #5

Originally posted to Myspace on February 06, 2008

This is a copy of an email I sent to everyone at work about being out on Wednesday. I'm too lazy to edit it, so here you go:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am going to be out all day on Wednesday, but I wanted to touch base and let everyone know that as of right now, everything is okay. I'm sure by the time some of you get this email, you'll have heard that tornadoes touched down in the area of my hometown in Macon County, TN. As of the time I am writing this email, no one in my family is injured, but we are still working on reaching a few of them. Cell phones and home phones are out in a lot of the county, so a couple of family members are out in their vehicles checking on the friends and family we've not been able to reach by phone.

It's all quite surreal to me right now. I know the natural gas plant that exploded very well. As a young child, it was so exciting to me to be riding down Hwy 141 and see that intricate silver building with all of the lights on it nestled back between the hills. It was quite possibly the most fascinating thing in the Macon County area in the mid-80s. I can't imagine it not being there. My mom lives about 12 miles from the gas plant and she can feel the heat and flames from the fire and hear the roar of the flames.

Lafayette is a different story. Power lines are down all over the place, entire houses are gone, and the last I heard, two police officers were missing. My sister's 17-year-old boyfriend was trying to get to his mother's house to check on her and could not make it down the road because of all of the downed trees and power lines. While trying to get to his mother's house, he came across a house that collapsed and trapped a woman underneath the rubble. He couldn't get her out. I can't imagine being 17, running across a scene like that, and not being able to help. We have not found out the condition of the woman, but we do know at least 15 people have had to be rescued and one is critical. As of now, there are no fatalities.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best for everyone I know. I will try to keep people updated through the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. I came here after you commented about my blog talking about McKay's books. I like your blog! I notice you have migrated it. I was also thinking of migrating mine to a WordPress blog.

    What I most wanted to let you know was that I REALLY liked your remembrance pictures. I have a couple of friends I miss and this gives me a great idea that I could do this. I plan to do it this year. Thank you for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete